Thursday, August 13, 2009

Spare Ribs in Black Bean Sauce Recipe | Easy Asian Cooking


Pork spare ribs are slightly browned and slowly braised in savoury fermented black bean sauce with garlic until tender. Black beans provide colour, flavour and texture in this easy to make entrée recipe.


Spare Ribs in Black Bean Sauce Home Cooking Recipe
Fermented black beans (豆豉) can hold their own unique salty and spicy flavor against the earthy flavor of spare ribs, and when it pairs with the spiciness of the red chillies, it's pretty alluring to the palate. The combination of flavours just simply get our taste buds screaming for more!

My childhood memories are vivid with images of mum preparing piping hot porridge with canned braised mud carp with fermented black beans (豆豉鯪魚) and preserved turnips omelette (chai poh nui in Hokkien) whenever I was down with fever. Thus I have been acquainted with similar dishes whenever my body's temperature soars, making braised mud carp with fermented black beans my natural comfort food to go well with gruel (thin watery porridge), realizing that I need to replenish lots of waters to tone down my body heat. Other common dishes made with fermented black beans is steamed spare ribs with fermented black beans and chilli pepper (豉椒排骨) and spare ribs in black bean sauce (蒜子豆豉骨), which I will lay out the later for you here.

Excerpt from wikipedia :

Fermented black beans (豆豉) is a popular flavouring used in Chinese cuisine, made by fermenting and salting soybeans, which turns the beans black, soft and mostly dry. But it should not be confused with black turtle beans, which is commonly used in the cuisines of Central America, South America, and the Caribbean.

蒜子豆豉骨食谱

Ingredients:材料
1 tbsp oil for stir-frying
3 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp fermented black bean (aka salted black beans), soaked for 20 minutes and drained, coarsely chopped
3 red chillies, seeded and sliced into pieces
600g pork spare ribs, trim and cut into serving pieces

Seasoning : 调味料
1 tbsp shao xing wine (Chinese rice wine or dry sherry)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp sugar
400ml water

Method : 做法

1. Heat the wok on medium-high to high heat and add oil, when oil is ready, reduce the heat to low, sauté chopped garlic and fermented black bean until fragrant. Then add in red chillies and onions, stir-fry with spatula until aromatic.

2. Turn to medium-high to high heat, add in spare ribs, stir-frying until they are lightly browned, then add in seasoning and bring to boil. Then reduce to medium low heat, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes or until the spare ribs are tender. Dish up and serve.


6 comments:

  1. hello there gladys! thanks for putting this recipe up and making it sound so simple. i'm absolutely abysmal in the kitchen. would love to make this for my family 1 day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    The recipe sounds and looks very good,I am going to try, thanks for sharing.

    Ms R

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tasted this one but never really tried cooking it. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'll give it a try one of these days.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I have a surprise for you in my blog.
    Please check it out..
    http://malaysiandelicacies.blogspot.com/2009/08/awardsa-tag-and-entry.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. shelbybaby :I used to be abysmal in kitchen too in my early working life. I am so engrossed with other activities and got off track with kitchen stove. I however believe anyone can cook given the reference, and hence I pick up by practising. Thanks for dropping by, just let me know how it goes :)

    Ask Ms Recipe : Thanks. Yes, it's an unpretentious, humble and homey dish, and the most important, it's quick and easy to whip up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz : It's worth a try as it's hassle-free yet lip-smacking good. Enjoy and let me know how it turns out to be :)

    Malaysian Delicacies :Woah, am really surprise and ecstatic on this. Thanks! It reminds me to work on the tagging and pass on the awards to the foodies who deserve it! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin